Friday, July 8, 2016

Interview at the Farmer's Market

A visit to the Farmer's Market in Abingdon,Virginia. From my sister's blog:
I eat a lot of eggs. Omelets, hard-boiled, scrambled. I hated them as a child and now I can’t get enough. Figures. I’m particular about my eggs, too, and knowing where they come from is important to me. And where do my eggs come from, you ask? From Venus and Louis Watson of Watson Greenhouse and Produce. There’s something light-hearted about these folks that makes me feel at home every time I walk up . You’ll recognize them because they haul their produce in a retired yellow school bus, and it’s the best thing ever.

With a friend by their side, I asked if I could take a few photographs of the flowers and a few shots of them. I asked their names, because even after all this time I haven’t put names to most of the faces I see around town each week. It’s funny how your world becomes a lot more meaningful once there’s a name and a story attached to it.

We didn’t talk a whole lot about produce (as you’ll see below), but we laughed about taking beauty portraits on that humid day. When I asked the couple about how long they had been married, Louis replied in regards to Venus, “When I first met her, I thought she was from outer space.

Get it?

That was really all I needed to make my morning.

Anyways, some other lovely items you can find at their booth include cabbage, walnuts, greens, flowers and herbs, green onions, potatoes, and a bit more that comes seasonally. Tuesdays and Saturdays at the Farmer’s Market Pavilion! (Read more.)
Share

No comments: